National Board Certified elementary teacher Steve Reifman is excited to announce the launch of his first professional development course for educators on Udemy.com
, a terrific website that offers resources people can access at their convenience. The course is called â€œBeyond Compliance: Classroom Management that Fosters Responsibility, Nurtures Intrinsic Motivation, and Brings Out the Best in Students.â€
Traditional classroom management approaches tend to focus on getting students to comply with rules through the use of extrinsic rewards and punishments. These coercive approaches produce, at best, short-term obedience and have the potential to thwart the development of many positive student behaviors and dispositions that we promote in our classrooms.
Designed for both new and experienced teachers, this workshop presents an alternative, progressive classroom management approach rooted in intrinsic motivation and designed to create a learning environment in which children work hard, work together, and work with purpose.
In the videos that comprise this course, Steve presents a series of classroom-tested ideas, strategies, activities, and resources that help teachers:
- encourage students to invest their hearts and minds in the class mission
- establish a strong sense of purpose in their classrooms so that students find meaning in their work, experience joy, and understand the many reasons why pursuing an education matters so much for their futures
- empower students with lasting habits of mind and habits of character
- establish the routines, procedures, and expectations necessary to create a classroom environment in which students consistently behave well and produce quality work
- build strong, trusting relationships with students and parents
- seek opportunities to engage and inspire students
- incorporate meaningful goal-setting, reflection, and self-evaluation into their classroom practice to enable children to improve their work and behavior
- understand the problems associated with the use of extrinsic motivation
- learn how to nurture the intrinsic motivation to learn and grow that all students possess
Steve Reifman is a National Board Certified elementary school teacher, author, and speaker in Santa Monica, CA. He has written several books for educators and parents, including Changing Kidsâ€™ Lives One Quote at a Time
, Eight Essentials for Empowered Teaching and Learning, K-8
, and Rock Your Studentsâ€™ World
. Steve is also the creator of the award-winning Chase Manning Mystery Series
for kids 8-12. For Teaching Tips, articles, and other valuable resources and strategies on teaching the whole child, visit www.stevereifman.com
. Follow Steve on Twitter (@stevereifman), subscribe to his â€œTeaching Kidsâ€ YouTube channel, and check out over a dozen of his classroom-tested resources at www.teacherspayteachers.com
I’ve been nominated for A Bammy Award
for Elementary Teacher of the Year
. I would appreciate your support by clicking here to leave a comment
as your vote for of support. Thank you all so much for being readers of this site and friends that I enjoy connecting with throughout the year!